Thursday, January 01, 2009

oh nine

Crikey, is it really the beginning of another year? I don't even know where the past week went, much less a whole nother year ~poof~ just vanished.

Almost all day yesterday, the last day of the year, I spent in my PJs. I temporarily threw on some jeans around noon to get lunch, but when I got home, I threw my PJs back on. Then around 8:30pm, I was instant messaging my BFF, and she asked if we had any plans for New Years. I told her nope and explained how the day had be a never-get-out-of-my-PJs day. But as soon as our convo ended, Jimmy asked me "Do you want to go to the city to see the fireworks?" I said "Absolutely!" and jumped through the shower. Within 1/2 an hour, we were headed to BART.

New Years Eve in the city is a driving and parking nightmare. Not to mention having to deal with the lack of sobriety of others. BART was the answer and we were at the Embarcadero by 10:45.

While we were finding a spot that wasn't too crowded, we saw Channel 4 News reporter Holly Juscen.

As the clock ticked closer to midnight, the crowd got louder and louder, but as soon as the last second of 2008 ticked away,the crowd noise couldn't compete with the booming fireworks.

The fireworks were set off on a barge in the Bay. That's the Bay Bridge you see on the right.

It was one of the most fantastic firework shows we've ever seen.

It's the 1st time we've gone into the city to see them. Shame on us. We've lived in the Bay Area for over 15 years and it took us this long to see them.

A few years ago, we saw them from Treasure Island. At the time, we thought we had the absolute best viewing spot. But after seeing them last night, there's absolutely no comparison.

Either that, or they totally amped up their show since then. I think it's a combination of both.

And to get the full sound effects, it makes a huge difference being on the city side of the fireworks, rather than the back side of the fireworks. Whoddah knew?

Afterward, we chatted a while with one of Jimmy's buddies. The crowds already started to thin as we walked past Pier 1 at the Port of San Francisco.

My last shot of the night was of the lingering people along Market Street.

I should mention that the kitty is doing ok. It's been 2 weeks since we got the news about her cancer and she's holding her own. We didn't think she would be with us for more than another week, so each day is a blessing. She's had 3 bad days, but the other days, she is her loving and happy, purring self. However much weaker, more tired and needs help jumping on the furniture. Her strength is low, she barely eats 1/2 a small can of food a day. But did you know they make a milk-like drink supplement for pets, similar to Pediliate or Ensure? She likes that and drinks 2-3 oz every day. And tons of water. Thanks to everyone who has sent well wishes.

Happy 2009 Everyone. I wish you all a very peaceful and delightful year.


Ragged Around the Edges said...

Definitely worth changing out of your pjs for!

Here's to a wonderful '09.

And I am still thinking of kitty. Glad she's having good days.

Anonymous said...

Glad you got out to see the FW's in SF. So much fun! We got stuck downtown one year since the buses, taxis were always FULL!!! Then when we about gave up my old housemate just happened to drive by us and yell out her window...thank goodness for friends!

Happy New Year!! xoxo - v

rosemary said...

umm....couldn't you have gone to see the fireworks in your PJ's? I doubt anyone would have noticed. Guess i missed the post about your kitty. i am so know i know about losing kitties....kisses to you and your baby.

Jodi said...

Happy New Year, Mad! What a fun way to celebrate!!! Thanks for the kitty update. She's so lucky to have you!

Anonymous said...

What a great way to start the new year, doing something you've never done before.

Much love and hugs to you and kitty.

Shammickite said...

Oh Mad, somehow I missed the info about your kitty. I'm so sorry she's ill, I know you are doing the very best for her. I think that's one of the reasons I haven't had a pet since our old Wendydog died, it's so heartbreaking (and bankbreaking) when they get sick or pass away.
I wish her (and you) all the best, dear kitty.
And as for seeing the fireworks in San Fran, WOW! I'm green with envy! Great photos.

Shammickite said...

Mad... I just scrolled back to your posts about Billy and shed a few tears for her. No, that's not quite right, it was LOTS of tears.

Unknown said...

A fantastic fireworks display. Thank you for showing your new years experience!

Ginnie said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR, dear Mad and Jimmy. You always bring a smile to my face and I expect 2009 to be no different in that regard. Let's hope you're off to a good start! said...

How wonderful you got to have this experience!!! I hope I get to do something similar once I don't have to take care of little ones at 7AM every single day.

Sorry to hear about your cat...I had a cat once that died only after one week I had him and I could not go to work for two days...I remember thinking my heart was way too weak and that I probably would never have a pet until my heart could bear it a bit more. I am happy that your cat has such a wonderful and caring owner.