Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Not completely a slug

After reviewing my post about all the tv I've been watching, I have the compulsion to let you all know that I truly haven't been sitting in front of the evil box for the past 8 days. It was a pretty relaxing week and we're off to Las Vegas tomorrow, but I did get a few things done aside from brain pickling.

I made my first homemade pie (mixed berry) last Tuesday. Needs work, the crust was a little dry but at least it was flaky. Also made chicken and dumplings that night for dinner. It was cold and cloudy all day and fall certainly was in the air. Chicken and dumplings was nice, warm comfort food. I used lite Bisquick for the dumplings, so dinner was healthy...no added fat. We more than made up for it with the pie.

Had a complete physical. I'm the type of person who sticks her head in the sand when it comes to healthcare. Although I'm not looking forward to the results of the blood work (nervous about my cholesterol), hopefully it'll help kick me in the pants to make better food choices. I'm already trying to eat breakfast...yes, I know it's the most important meal of the day...but I've never been one to eat it regularly. Even just a slice of toast or OJ is torture to eat. Unless you're talking brunch with eggs and bacon and sausage and potatoes, then I can easily consume a whole plate full of cholesterol. I realize though, now that I'm in my mid to late 30's (!), health really is something you need to pay attention to. So I need to get my head out of the sand and just pay more attention.

Did some bookkeeping for the bizness. I've never talked about work on my blog. I've spilled open a lot except in area. Let's just say that Jimmy does the technical stuff, I do the grunt work but oh.so.very.important to keep the technical stuff running smoothly.

Went to Krung Thai for dinner with Phin then we went to a crop at our local scrapbook store from 7p-1a on Friday night. Completely lacking in creativity lately, I only did 1 scrapbook page in 6 hours. However, I did organize my totebag for about 2+ hours!!

Saturday, we went to our fav Mexican restaurant, La Morenita in Palo Alto, then to the Apple store to look at Macs. Just looking. Really. :-)

Woke up at 5:40am Sunday and met Phin in downtown San Jose before her race. She ran in the Inaugural San Jose Rock 'n Roll Half Marathon and I was there to cheer her on and take pictures. Even though I've only wogged a 5k once, I have so much more respect for runners. Those elite runners fly. The men's champion ran the 2nd fastest half on American soil. After her race, we had brunch at Stacks in Menlo Park. Feeling nostalgic for Hawaii, I tried their banana mac nut coconut pancakes, short stack. Definitely "broke da mouf", but not what my doctor had in mind when she recommended eating breakfast. But I ate less than half and brought the rest home to pick at later.

Went to dinner with Doris at Himawari in San Mateo. Delicious ramen house. (Phin, we need to find a ramen place near us). After dinner, we went to stamp club and learned how to make the awesome star book in my previous post. I've wanted to make one of these for years but never did so I was really looking forward to doing the project. We didn't have enough time to finish it during the meeting, so as soon as I came home, I had to finish it (while watching tv of course).

Got Jimmy's car smog checked and washed in prep for our trip to Vegas. We were suppose to leave today, but work and road closures delayed our journey by a day. Our original plans were to go to the cabin tonight then drive to Bishop tomorrow to visit Jimmy's cousin Andrew then drive to Vegas Thursday morning. But we've already had snow in the high country and the highway from the cabin to Bishop is already closed for the season. So instead, we'll drive though Bakersfield, Barstow and Baker en route to the Las Vegas Hockey Tournament, that starts Thursday night. (Melani: we'll be thinking of you and your man! It was so fun when you guys went with us!).

Hopefully, I'll be able to blog while we're there. In addition to the tournament and the artery clogging food we'll eat, we're going to Cirque du Soleil's newest show Love.

Waimea Canyon, dubbed by Mark Twain as the Grand Canyon of the Pacific.
I tore/pulled a calf muscle about 1/2 a hour before I took this photo. Felt like a rubberband being stretched then snapping and I almost passed out from the pain. The next day we had a "condo" day. The ohana went to the beach, I RICE'd my injury: Rested, Iced, Compressed, Elevated. Still aches a bit, almost 2 weeks later, but I can almost walk without a noticable limp. I'm optimistic that within another week or 2, it'll feel totally normal.


Ragged Around the Edges said...

And with all of that you still managed to get quality television viewing time. I am so impressed!

We have got to get you knitting. With all of this good fall tv, you'd be cranking out all sorts of things.

As if you need yet another hobby.

Ginnie said...

HA, on the knitting :) So sorry you hurt your calf muscle. Your body's way of slowing you down, maybe? Not that I would know, of course! I was talking about CdS's "O" in Vegas this past weekend but didn't know there was a new show. Wow. Good for you. Let us know how it us because I'll be dying to hear about it. Have a great time.

mommy said...

Yum, chicken and dumplings! Going to have to make it tonight. That Vegas trip was so fun! Have fun at the tournament. Meet up when you get back?